The 117th 1st Unit Patch In Apr 1958, the first of the new aircraft arrived. It was a B model, released by the Air Force's 38th Bomb Squadron in Lyon , France . Ultimately, the 117th was scheduled to receive 12 B Models and 1 C Model. The B's were designed for one pilot and a navigator, and the C was a dual-control pilot training mode. The 117th, now assigned to the Continental Air Command, became the 117th Photo-Reconnaissance Squadron. The primary mission was now bomb damage survey and photoreconnaissance in event of enemy attack. The unit also had a secondary mission of photo mapping and was capable of an additional peacetime mission of radar calibration. The B-57B's, with which they were training, though, were just temporary. They first arrived in April, but by July word came down that the 117th would be receiving the RB-57A, a special photoreconnaissance modification. The first of them would arrive in August 1958, while the 117th was on its first summer camp and a TAC Recon Squadron. Summer camp for the 117th that year ran from the 3rd to the 17th of August, and it was the first of a number of visits to Gulfport , Mississippi , where the 117th trained; with three other ANG Photo-Reconnaissance Squadrons. For many of the men, it was the first summer camp and the first airplane trip, since the unit flew down in 3 C-119's. It was the first time the 117th went to camp in military transport. Somewhere about this time the unit insignia, symbolizing the 117ths role as a photo-reconnaissance unit came into use. To some extent, the 117th inherited this first unit insignia. The 117th predecessor unit, in Pennsylvania had used an owl motif, and the unit in Kansas kept this. There were changes though, to reflect both the individuality of the unit and the reconnaissance mission. Sgt Zerger of Maintenance redrew the owl, and it now plainly bore radio equipment on his back and a camera in his claws.