Colonel Brian J. Budden is the Commander for the 190th Air Refueling Wing, Forbes Field, Topeka, Kansas. The Wing operates and maintains a fleet of 12 KC-135R aircraft and is comprised of 980 military personnel. The 190 ARW provides rapid global mobility airpower and deploys expeditionary forces in support of worldwide combat, contingency and humanitarian operations while maintaining a nuclear deterrence tasking. The Wing also supports the State of Kansas and the Nation in times of disaster and domestic emergency response.
Born in Sioux City, Iowa, Colonel Budden graduated from Iowa State University, Ames, with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture in December 1996. He was commissioned by the Reserve Officers Training Corps and elected to serve his commitment in the Kansas Air National Guard. He joined the 190th ARW in December 1996 and served in the 190th Civil Engineering Squadron for two years. In 1998, he was selected Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training by the 117th Air Refueling Squadron and earned his Navigator wings in October 1999 after flying the T-34C Turbo Mentor at Pensacola Naval Air Station, Florida, followed by the T-43A Gator at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. He completed Combat and Water Survival Training in February of 2000. Colonel Budden logged over 800 hours and deployed in support of Operation Deliberate Forge and Northern Watch as both a drill-status navigator, and then a federal technician. In August of 2002, he was selected for Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training and earned his pilot wings in October 2003 and the Outstanding Officer Award after flying the T-37 Tweet & T-1A Jayhawk at Laughlin AFB, Texas. He completed KC-135 Copilot Initial Qualification Training at Altus AFB, Okla. in February 2004.
Colonel Budden has been full-time Active Guard/Reserve since 2006. He has held a variety of positions in the 190th ARW including 117th Air Refueling Squadron Life Support officer, Executive officer, Current Operations Officer, 190th Chief of Aircrew Training & Tactics, 190th Operations Support Squadron Commander, and 190th Maintenance Squadron Commander. Prior to his current position he was the 190th Mission Support Group Commander.
Colonel Budden is an instructor/evaluator pilot having flown the KC-135E/D/R and T aircraft logging over 4100 hours as a military command pilot. He has flown over 110 combat/combat support sorties totaling over 780 combat hours in direct support of Operations Deliberate Guard, Northern Watch, Nobel Eagle, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, New Dawn, Unified Protector, Inherent Resolve, Freedom Sentinel and Restore Hope.
1996 Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 USAF Advanced Instrument School, Oklahoma City, Okla.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officers Course, Sheppard AFB, Tx.
2019 ANG Commanders Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2019 USAF Emergency Operations Center Director Course, Maxwell AFB, Tx.
2019 USAF Safety Board Presidents Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2021 USAF Director of Mobility Forces Course DM4, Hurlburt Field, FL
1. Dec 1996 - Aug 1998 Engineer, 190th Civil Engineer Squadron, Forbes Field Air National Guard Base, KS
2. Aug 1998 - Oct 1999 Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, NAS Pensacola, FL & Randolph AFB, TX
3. Nov 1999 - Jan 2000 Combat Crew Navigator Qualification, Altus AFB, OK
4. Aug 1998 - Jun 2002 Navigator, Scheduler, 117th Air Refueling Squadron, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
5. Aug 2002 - Aug 2003 Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, TX
6. Sep 2003 - Jan 2004 Combat Crew Copilot Qualification, Altus AFB, OK
7. Feb 2004 - Mar 2006 Pilot, Life Support & Executive Officer 117th ARS, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
8. Apr 2006 - May 2006 Aircraft Commander Upgrade Course, Scott AFB, IL
9. Jan 2007 - Sep 2012 Chief, Off-Station Plans, 190th Operations Support Squadron, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
10. Jul 2009 - Aug 2009 KC-135 Central Flight Instructor Course, Altus AFB, OK
11. Oct 2012 - Mar 2015 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Aircrew Training/Tactics, 190th OSS, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
12. Apr 2015 - Jan 2017 Commander, 190th Operations Support Squadron, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
13. Feb 2017- May 2019 Commander, 190th Maintenance Squadron, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
14. Jun 2019 - Jul 2020 Commander, 190th Mission Support Group, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
15. Aug 2020 - Sep 2021 Commander, 190th Operations Group, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
16. Sep 2021 - Present Commander, 190th Air Refueling Wing, Forbes Field ANGB, KS
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Rating: Command Pilot, Instructor/Evaluator
Flight Hours: 4100 military total (800 combat hours)
Aircraft Flown: T-34C, T-43A, T-37A, T-1A, KC135E/D/R/T
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 21 December 1996
First Lieutenant 21 December 1998
Captain 21 December 2000
Major 15 August 2005
Lieutenant Colonel 15 August 2012
Colonel 21 November 2019
(Current as of October 2021)