Col. Kent J. Crane is the Commander of the 190th Air Refueling Wing, Forbes Field, Topeka, Kan. The Wing operates and maintains a fleet of 12 KC-135R aircraft and is comprised of 980 military personnel. The 190 ARW provides rapid global mobility airpower and deploys expeditionary forces in support of worldwide combat, contingency and humanitarian operations while maintaining a nuclear deterrence tasking.
Col. Crane commissioned into active-duty Air Force in May 2002 through ROTC from Kansas State University. He completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in August 2003, and since then has held a variety of positions, including the 55th Electronic Combat Group’s Assistant Director of Operations and TITLE for the Advanced Airlift Tactical Training Center. In 2012 Col. Crane separated from active-duty military and joined the Kansas Air National Guard’s 190th ARW and has held various positions including the 117th Air Refueling Squadron Commander, 190th Operations Group Commander, and the 190th Air Refueling Wing Vice Commander.
Col. Crane has deployed multiple times and flew missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Odyssey Dawn, Operation Unified Protector, Operation Inherent Resolve and Operation Freedoms Sentinel.
2002 Bachelor of Science, Park Resource Management, Kansas State University, Manhattan
2006 Masters of Art, Human Resource Management, Webster University, Webster Groves, Mo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. June 2002 – August 2003, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 2003 – September 2006, 458th Airlift Squadron, C-21A Instructor Pilot, Assistant Chief of Training, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. September 2006 – September 2012, 55th Electronic Combat Group, EC-130H Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. May 2014 – September 2018, Advanced Airlift Tactical Training Center, Combat Aircrew Tactics Studies/Mobility Electronic Combat Officers Course (CATS/MECOC) Rosecrans, Mo.
5. September 2012 – October 2019, 190th Air Refueling Wing, KC-135 Mobility Pilot, Forbes Field, Kan.
6. November 2019 – November 2020, 190th Air Refueling Wing, 117th Air Refueling Squadron Commander, Forbes Field, Kan.
7. December 2020 – August 2021, 190th Air Refueling Wing, 190th Operations Support Squadron, Forbes Field, Kan.
8. September 2021 – October 2021, 190th Air Refueling Wing, 190th Operations Group Commander, Forbes Field, Kan.
9. October 2021 – Jan 2023, 190th Air Refueling Wing, Vice Wing Commander, Forbes Field, Kan.
10. February 2023 – Present, 190th Air Refueling Wing, Wing Commander, Forbes Field, Kan.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal, 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Medal, 9 Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Piot Training
2005 Instructor Pilot of the Year
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School
2007 Flight Commander of the Year
2009 Company Grade Officer of the Year
2009 ACC Safety Award of Distinction
2012 Field Grade Officer of the Quarter
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 5000
Combat Hours/Sorties: more than 1400/200
Combat Support Hours/Sorties: 66/60
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-21, C-130H, EC-130H and KC135R
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 2002
First Lieutenant May 29, 2004
Captain May 29, 2006
Major April 1, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel May 5, 2017
Colonel October 16, 2021
(Current as of August 2023)